A poison is a chemical substance that is considered to be very toxic or harmful for the body. When a poison induced in our body in sufficient quantity, which can cause drastic effects on our health. Poisons may be ingested, inhaled, injected, or absorbed through the skin. Factors of importance in determining the severity of a poison includes- the nature of the poison, the concentration and amount, the route of administration, the length of exposure, and the age, size, and physical health of the individual. It acts on the body in such a way as to cause a marked disturbance of its normal activity that we can say is -poisoning or death.
Nowadays, everyone wonders that in actual what the deadly poisons can do to a body. It is so harmful and injurious to our body. Everyone must be having knowledge about the poisons which can cause to death. Take a look below for our list of 10 of the deadliest poisons on the planet.
Now we talk about the number one toxic poison in the world which we call as botulinum. Mostly, it is used in cosmetic products. This poison is very powerful as just a teaspoon of it can kill a large number of people-we can say around 1.2 billion people. When it came in contact with the body the main symptoms seems to be are double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth, and muscle weakness. The poison ‘Botilnum’ also affects the respiratory system and eventually will cause death. It is one of the severe cause for food poisoning. One can overcome with this poison by getting emergency and proper treatment within the time period.
Ricin is also a deadly poison found in plants, particularly castor beans. It is a poison which can be extracted and basically used as the weapon of mass destruction. This type of plants can be fatal if chewed or swallowed. It works inside the body cells and prevent the manufacturing of proteins in which they are need of. If the proteins wouldn’t be there, cells will die. Without the proteins in cells, the body may be subjected to harm and eventually can cause death. It has also been used successfully in the assassination of political figures. So, it’s really important for the one to seek medical attention once after being bitten immediately within forty-five minutes.
3. Dart Frog Poison
As we all have somewhere read or studied about rainforests, one would found these frogs there only. At a first glance, they are found to be beautiful and interesting. But sometimes, looks may be deceiving, as this creature contains lot of toxic in its body. Its skin is a combination of various kinds of toxins including neurotoxin and its derivatives. The poison in its body is created by a species of colorful frogs.
The poison in its body directly affects the nervous system by entering the bloodstream mainly near the heart which cause breathing impossible. This leads to resulting in the respiratory ailments, and cardiac arrest which further lead to coma, then death. This poison is also used in weapons by the natives to tip weapons like we can say-blowgun darts made up of thorns.
Sarin name arrived from the name of one who created it, namely Schrader, Ambros, Rudiger and Van der Linde. This is a deadly nerve gas; this substance is intended to serve as pesticide when it was created in 1983. After that, it was used as the main component of weapons for mass destruction during wars. It made its appearance in the course of history particularly the attack in Japan in 1995 and in 1988, during the Iran-Iraq war.
When a person is exposed in this poison, what happens is that the muscles and glands stop to function. Symptoms of sarin initially include a runny nose and tightness in chest. Breathing can become difficult soon after coming into contact and nausea does set in. you then loss control of all your body functions and become comatose.
It is frequently abbreviated as txt,Tetrodotoxin blocks action potentials in nerves by binding to the voltage-gated, fast sodium channel in nerve cell membrane, essentially preventing any affected nerve cells from firing by blocking the channels used in the process. The binding site of this toxin is located at the pore opening of the voltage-gated Na+channel.
Its name derives from Tetradontiformes, an order that includes puffer fish, porcupine fish, ocean sunfish or mola, and triggerfish, several species that carry the toxin. Found in the organs of puffer fish, tetrodotoxin persists even after the fish is cooked. If the toxin is consumed, paralysis and death can strike within six hours. Up to five Japanese die from badly prepared fugu every year, this poisoning is frequently uncommon seen in Japan, Southeast Asia, Taiwan.It is rare but significant in United States as well.
Cyanide is also one of the most notorious deadly poison. It is also considered to be very lethal as its acting speed is very fast. Just a teaspoon of pure cyanide dissolve in water can kill a human being in a few seconds approximately near about 20 seconds of consumption through asphyxiation. This poison reacts in body by blocking one of the enzyme of the electro transfer chain, this causes problem in respiration thus essentially one can face death from suffocation.
Also, it is very painful. And as soon as to pass out fairly rapidly then cause death as person’s heart muscle has no energy to beat. In addition to pesticide and insecticide, cyanide is contained in tobacco smoke, smoke from building fires and some foods, like almonds, apricot kernel, apple seeds, and cassava .This poisoning is really uncommon, so it should be recognized as soon as possible in a person who consumed this solution to ensure prompt and proper administration should be taken place for life-saving treatment.
7. Beaked Sea Snake Venos
One of the deadly poison drop in the whole world is of beaked sea snake venom. This creature is widely spread in waters. It is responsible for nine out of every ten deaths from sea snake bites. This snake is large in size, ranging 1.2 meters for the male and 1.5 meters for the female. The major symptoms and causes after its bite- a person experiences headache, vomiting, sweating, a thick-feeling and a thirst. As the poison remain injected in a body for 30 minutes or long, it will lead to tenderness of muscles, stiffness and aching all over the whole body.
Another poison is Strychnine which is highly toxic, colorless bitter crystalline alkaloid used as a pesticide particularly for killing small vertebrates such as birds and rodents. It has been discovered that this poison is obtained from the seeds of nux vomica tree and related plants of the genus strychnos. Strychnine is transported by plasma and erythrocytes. Within a few minutes of its ingestion, it can be detected in urine. It causes increased reflex excitability in a spinal cord that results in a loss of the normal inhibition of spread of motor cell stimulation, so that all the muscles can contract simultaneously. In terms of its taste if we discuss about so, it is the most bitter substance ever existing.
9. Brazilian Wandering Spider Venom
One of the basic deadly poison in the world is Brazilian Wandering Spider Venom. It is produced by BANANA SPIDERS. They contain eight scientifically known species. Their body length ranges from 17 to 48 mm. They are mainly found in tropical South America. These spiders are known to be highly aggressive in the world. They mostly found wandering on the floors of the forest at night.
Also, they hide themselves in the light of day in a sheltered area like inside termite wounds under rocks, areas such as in cars and in banana plants. It was introduced in Guinness book of world records in 2007. It has resulted in killing of the number of people in a short term. But it’s difficult for them to bite humans as their fangs are meant to attack a large prey. It is a deadly poison containing potentially fatal neurotoxin, which leads to respiratory illness. Its causes- loss of muscles, resulting in paralysis and the bite cause intense pain and inflammation and eventually die.
The inflammation kills the muscle, skin and bone cells in the tissue around the bit, so as to form a rotten flesh. The immediate surrounding bit area generally manifests redness, swelling and immobility. This poison also causes an erection that remains for hours or permanently. The life of the bitten individual can be saved only by the quick administration of the antidote. The symptoms of Brazilian Wandering are really something to get scared.
Amatoxin is a poison to be found in such things that we may consider as food, like mushroom. Amatoxin is a poison which is known for its hardiness. It does not lose potency due to heat and dying. Its main target is to affect the liver. Then, it encroaches another organ, i.e., kidney. And the next affect is on central nervous system and it results in respiratory diseases such as diarrhea that includes blood and even coma.
The only way to avoid such type of poisoning is to avoid eating wild mushrooms. Because its component cannot be destroyed even if dried as it cannot be dissolve in water and is heat-stable. Its treatment involves high dose penicillin as well as supportive care in cases of hepatic and renal injury and a potential antidote is to be provided to Amatoxin poisoning.